Sunday, March 21, 2010

Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

Okay, I'd just like to establish something here: I am a Haruhi fanboy. I did not abandon Haruhi after Kadokawa decided to troll us with a certain unmentionable and horrid eight episode arc this past summer, nor have I lost hope in Nagaru Tanigawa even after waiting over three years now for the final novel to be released. No, I haven't given up, and I won't give up. I am a Haruhi fanboy to the core. So deal.

Needless to say, when I discovered that there was a new Haruhi Suzumiya movie being produced, I was ecstatic. So ecstatic that I lost all control of the language cortex of my brain and immediately started sending emails to random friends who did not particularly care about my fanboyism at all, usually with message bodies along the lines of... the following.


IT’S NOT A SEASON IT’S A MOVIE OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’M SO EXCITED YAY!
CAN YOU BELIEVE? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!
Yes. I actually wrote that.

Regardless, the movie has now been showing for well over a week, and frankly I apparently live under a rock because I have heard nothing about it. Until today.

I finally decided to go to the source and use Google's Translated Search feature to search Japanese websites for info on it. Mainly I was able to discover that "Nagato is dying too cute" and, according to the Japanese Wikipedia, "Maeda Yuuiti critic movie is known in the Dry has praised this film, 'a novel animation makes us feel so very extraordinary everyday,' and 'Nao Yasushi Shimaou of the park and is made entirely not feel opportunity to see so directing techniques are extremely rare in live-action Japanese movie,' he said."

Interpret that how you like, but it sounds to me like the critics are raving. After giving up the Japanese hunt, I simply turned to fellow bloggers. According to this beautifully written post by Rio over at Young Underpaid Professionals, the movie has a whopping runtime of 162 minutes. Just as a comparison: the two Death Note films had a combined runtime of only 125 minutes. Personally, I'm glad that the movie is longer. That makes it fail less, as frankly, there is a lot of stuff that happens. Not showing it all would be disappointing. (I wait for the days when films are as long as Gone With The Wind... 238 minutes. That will be the day...)

Regardless of that, I eagerly await the day that the DVD release arrives so it can be fansubbed and I can watch it happily. Mainly because Nagato is incredibly hot and my favorite character and this was my favorite novel by far. By the way, anyone happen to know when that will be? Because I live under a rock.

And now, to end this post, here's a random Yuki cosplayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment